25 July 2013

Richmond safari park



 
The sky is intense blue. The sun is warm on my back. I spin along on my bike, gulping freedom in draughts. The rutted dirt track snakes away from me, grasses high and dry on either side. A fellow cyclist passes, smiling, the Médecin Sans Frontières logo, so familiar in Bunia, bold across his T-shirt. In the corner of my eye, an antelope emerges from the undergrowth...

My stoney skid brings me up short. Where have I been? Where am I now? For a moment, my worlds have merged and Richmond Park is African savannah. Too often the worlds are sharply separate, no danger of merger. But strong sun and rutted roads evoke a myriad African associations. My mind conjures up a whole context, half a life, to fit them. For a moment, I am back on a kinder continent. Then my vision adjusts and the deer comes into focus. I breathe deep and remember: sometimes the sun blesses England, too, and Richmond Park had my heart before Africa ever stole it.

No comments:

Post a Comment